Fresh California Avocado keeps this quick-bread loaf light and moist, while dark chocolate chips and almonds add a bit of decadence and crunch.
- ½ cup skim milk
- ½ tsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1 ripe Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and mashed
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup water
- 1 (15-oz.) can of unsweetened, puréed pumpkin
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine milk and lemon juice and let stand.
- Spoon flours into dry measuring cups and level with a knife. Whisk together with the baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, egg whites, avocado, vanilla extract and eggs in a large bowl and beat with a hand mixer at a high speed until blended.
- Add milk/lemon juice to sugar mixture.
- Add water and canned pumpkin, beating at a low speed until combined together.
- Add flour mixture to above mixture and beat at a low speed just until combined (don’t over mix).
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Coat two loaf pans (9x5-inch each) with cooking spray.
- Spoon batter into pans and fill half-way. Sprinkle almonds evenly over batter.
- Bake loaves for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes and then remove from pans and cool on wire rack.
Yields: 2 Loaves
Note: This recipe also can be used to make muffins. When baking in muffin tins, cook for 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados.
Author: Recipe created by Bonnie Taub-Dix, MA, RD, CDN
Recipe Provided By the California Avocado Commission
Nutrition information per serving
Calories 130; Total Fat 2.5 g (Sat 1 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 0 g, Mono 1 g); Cholesterol 15 mg; Sodium 220 mg; Potassium 95 mg; Total Carbohydrates 23 g; Dietary Fiber 2 g; Total Sugars 11 g; Protein 3 g; Vitamin A 2318 IU; Vitamin C 1 mg; Calcium 55 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 5 IU; Folate 27; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.01
% Daily Value*: Total Fat 4%; Vitamin A 45%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 6%; Iron 6%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 Calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.