This versatile breakfast dish is quick and easy, can be easily adapted by adding different veggies, and easily feeds a hungry crowd for breakfast or for brunch.
- 1 ripe Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- ½ cup jarred roasted piquillo peppers, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. sherry vinegar
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup grated Spanish manchego cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped Italian parsley
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, for cooking
- In a small mixing bowl, toss together avocado, peppers, garlic, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Let marinate 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, cheese and parsley until frothy. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the avocado mixture.
- Heat oil in a 10-inch, nonstick, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the egg mixture, reduce heat to medium and cook for 7 to 8 minutes, until the bottom is set and the top is still runny. Occasionally lift the outer edges so the uncooked egg can run underneath.
- Place the skillet in the oven and cook until the eggs are set and golden brown, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and loosen the bottom of the frittata with a spatula. Place a serving plate over the skillet and invert the frittata onto it. Cut into wedges and serve hot or at room temperature.
Tip: Crumbled goat cheese may be substituted for Spanish manchego cheese.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Author: Copyright © 2009, Chefs Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger
Recipe Provided By the California Avocado Commission
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados.
Nutrition information per serving
Calories 300; Total Fat 23 g (Sat 6 g, Trans
0 g, Poly 1.1 g, Mono 6.9 g); Cholesterol 440 mg; Sodium 370 mg; Potassium
234 mg; Total Carbohydrates 8 g; Dietary Fiber 3 g; Total Sugars 1 g; Protein 16 g; Vitamin A 889 IU; Vitamin C 7 mg; Calcium 118 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D
0 IU; Folate 41 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.1 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 20%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 10%; Iron 10%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 Calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.