The addition of avocado adds a surprising level of creaminess to the cool, crisp taste of the fresh citrus and melon.
- 2 tsp. grated orange peel
- 2 tsp. grated lemon peel
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup cantaloupe balls or 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 cup honeydew balls or 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 cup orange sections, cut in half
- ½ cup fresh raspberries
- Combine orange peel, lemon peel, lemon juice, and sugar in a small bowl. Stir until well blended.
- Spoon half of the melon balls, avocado, oranges, and raspberries in a shallow pan, such as a 1 1/2-qt casserole dish. Repeat layers. Do not toss. Drizzle citrus mixture evenly over all.
Serving Suggestions: May serve in individual bowls or wine goblets and spoon equal amounts of the citrus mixture over each serving.
Cook’s Tip: Using a shallow pan, allows the juices to absorb into more of the ingredients.
Beverage Pairings: Water with lemon or lime slices, or for a festive brunch try with a flute of champagne.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados.
Recipe Provided By the California Avocado Commission
Nutrition information per serving
Calories 160; Total Fat 9 g (Sat 1 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 1 g, Mono 6 g); Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 20 mg; Potassium 595 mg; Total Carbohydrates 23 g; Dietary Fiber 7 g; Total Sugars 13 g; Protein 2 g; Vitamin A 1566 (IU); Vitamin C 64 mg; Calcium 38 mg; Iron 0.6 mg; Vitamin D 0 (IU); Folate 83 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.1 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 30%; Vitamin C 110%; Calcium 4%; Iron 4*
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 Calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.