Choosing healthier foods, such as fruits and vegetables instead of higher fat, higher calorie foods, and getting regular physical activity can help to:
- Prevent gaining unwanted pounds, if you are already at a healthy weight.
- Lose pounds to reach a healthy weight, if you are currently overweight.
- Maintain a healthy weight after weight loss.
- Reduce your risk of many diseases, such as Type 2 diabetes, coronary heart disease, high total cholesterol, stroke, high blood pressure, arthritis and certain types of cancer.
Whether maintaining your current weight or losing a few pounds is your goal, be sure to include plenty of fruits and veggies in your diet.
- Fruits and vegetables are low-calorie-density foods, which mean you can eat more of them than you can of many other foods.
- Many fruits and vegetables are high in fiber, which can help you feel fuller, faster. This can help lower the number of calories you eat, because you stop eating sooner.
SOURCE: fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org, July 2007.